Over the past decade, there has been a 35% increase in the number of people who take ballroom dancing lessons or who attend ballroom dancing events, according to the nonprofit organization, USA Dance, Incorporated. That same organization compared people’s interest in tango dancing vs. mindfulness meditation. They found that at least 97% of the people in the study preferred the tango dancing classes to classes in mindfulness meditation. This can be an encouraging sign. At least 80% of American adults do not get enough aerobic exercise. Only 20% of American adults and adolescents meet the guidelines for the amount of aerobic exercise that they should get. Dancing from the doing the tango to the samba or rumba can burn 240 calories an hour.
Improving your fitness level is only one of the benefits you get when you learn to dance. According to the Beauty and Tips Magazine, dancing can do a lot for the quality of your life. Here are some of the benefits they have found to dancing:
- People who start dancing gain a lot in the way of their social circle. When you get out to do something new and different, such as learning the rumba, you interact with other people with that same goal. You will meet a lot of new people and make new friends when you take a dancing class.
- Learning to dance will give you more self confidence. Learning a new skill is always a big self confidence builder. When people start to learn something new, such as learning to dance or leaning a new language, it is totally normal to be a bit self conscious for a bit but as you get better, that will pass. Once you get into the swing of things, you will feel less and less nervous and more and more confident.
- You will gain better posture. Whether you are dancing the samba or the rumba, the activity itself will help improve your posture. It also helps with your balance, this is important for a lot of people as they age. You learn new ways to hold yourself when you learn new dance moves. You need to keep your back straight. This can only be beneficial for your posture and balance.
- You can lower your stress level. When you are on the dance floor, showing off your new rumba moves, you will not be thinking about the office or any of the other stresses you have in your life. In fact, the stresses you normally experience will feel miles away when you are on the dance floor. This is a good way to get some movement into your life and get you into a more relaxed mental space.
- You will lose weight. As was mentioned already, dancing is a great aerobic activity. Dancing the rumba is a fabulous way to burn off extra calories. The best part of this kind of exercise is that it does not feel like exercise, it is just fun. If you are trying to lose weight, as many Americans are, you cannot go wrong with dancing. Improving your cardiovascular health is another benefit to doing more aerobic exercise.
- You will become more flexible. Learning how to dance is one of the best ways to increase your flexibility. Of all of the things you can do to get into great physical shape, this is one of the best. People notice that they may be a bit sore after their first few lessons but as they get used to the movements and as they get in better shape, that gets much better.
- You will become more coordinated. One of the best things about learning how to dance is what it will do for your coordination level. When you learn all of the steps in the rumba, for instance, you learn the best ways to move your arms and legs to get into the right rhythm. This is a wonderful thing to get you to be more coordinated. You also learn to work with a partner and that is helpful in this area as well.
All of these benefits are great to help people live better lives. Better physical fitness leads to better metal health. Having fun while working out will help keep you on the right track.